Monday, September 6, 2010

~The Journey That Began At Shiloh...~

It was 1973, I was 11 years old and I was only in the 5th Grade ... that was truly a monumental year for me that year, as I have reflected back, but for this particular "Season" it is important because it is here that my photography journey began...

     
My 5th Grade Teacher was a beautiful, kind, loving and caring woman and her name just so happens to be "Mrs. Wright"  :) She will always go down as probably my "favorite" teacher of all times and only passed away in recent months living to be well into her 80's.  I had the privilege of introducing my two boys to Mrs. Wright at Craig's dad's funeral in February, 2009.  When I reminded her that day of who I was, she let me know very quick that it wasn't necessary to remind her... and that she wasn't "THAT" old yet! ... too funny... Mrs. Wright became my favorite teacher for many reasons, she was a mentor and a friend and you will also notice she became one of my first models! (Rule of thirds... check...)  :) ... 

In the Spring of this year we will go on our field trip to Shiloh National Military Park and my Mom will allow me to carry along our family camera to take pictures! 
I did a bit of research and I am not 100% certain, 
but reasonably sure that it was this camera that
went on my "journey".  It is a Kodak Hawkeye
Flashfun Camera.  I can't believe that my Mom
 doesn't still have it stashed somewhere... :)  What's funny to me, is that I remember well, taking the pictures that I took.  I remember setting the shots up.  (How strange is that?...)  But, I can't exactly remember taking pictures before that day.  Perhaps I did, I just don't remember.  But... I remember taking pictures after that day... and it's almost as if I have had a camera with me ever since that day! 

~Bloody Pond~
My first picture of a "reflection" and I still love them to this day!




~I remember walking out far enough to get this shot - and the young girl in the middle is actually the sister of one of my classmates.  I remember calling out to her to make sure she was looking at me! ~


~Yep... I made sure these guys were posing too... how funny is that~


~My first group shot- guess it's not a horrible attempt! ~
(I just thought it was funny that I was making people let me do a group shot then too! - see friends I've had people fussing at me about group shots since I was in the 5th Grade!! LOL!)


I'm sure it was the following Christmas that I got my very own Pocket110 camera and I think I wore out more than one model of those!  Several Christmases later in 1980 my then boyfriend, which would later become my husband, Craig, gave me my first 35mm camera... a Canon AE1 and yes it was the Olympic Edition!  I have been a Canon shooter ever since!  

and so the "Journey" continues ...  

and 5th Grade Moments were "Stopped In Time" ... (how awesome is that?!) ,
Tina :) ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Huntsville, Alabama, United States