Friday, July 16, 2010

"It's in the Cards..."

Today I change gears slightly as I took time to capture a different memory, in quite a different way and I tried to be diligent in journaling my venture through some photos... I have a deep love and passion for my photography and I also have a strong love and passion for quilting.  It seems like such a long time since I have watched a creative quilting idea blossom from start to finish, and my quilters guild challenge was just the ticket that took me there.  In January of this year the Heritage Quilters of Huntsville  announced the challenge for 2010 and it was entitled "It's in the Cards...". 

I had recently been given a large box of very old photos that included a scrapbook that belonged to my very Precious Grandmother who passed away in 2003.  One of the categories included "Vintage" cards and my hopes were to use one of the "Vintage" cards in the mix and my wheels had already begun to turn.  I began going through the box again and found a handmade card that was made by my Mom in "1945", she was only 7 years old at the time.  My idea sprang forth and this is what I came up with...
I appliqued the Santa and the "1945" calendar after I had them enlarged.  That, I must say was a bit trickier than I anticipated.  The pieces were still a bit smaller than I realized I would be dealing with.  I also had to figure out how to apply the "opening card" to my completed quilt top.  I managed, totally "shooting from the hip" my entire way through this project! :) ... 

Below... the completed project!  Whoo Hoo!  I probably had the most fun with the fabrics that I used.  My Grandmother, sang in a Barbershop "quartet" group called The Sweet Adelines, I used some of the fabric from her former costumes mixed in with new fabrics in the quilt top. The bottom picture is of the back of the quilt.  This is made from a Santa Apron that my Grandmother wore nearly every Christmas! My family wanted me to have it because they knew I would wear it at Christmastime.  I wanted to share it, and now we will always know exactly where it is every Christmas!... You see... I entitled this Quilt, To: Mother  ... I did this for two reasons.  The inscription my Mom wrote inside the card reads (in several places) To Mother but this will also be my Mom's Surprise Birthday gift on August 29th this year!  To my knowledge she doesn't even realize that scrapbook was in that box of old photos! ... You can bet I will let you all know about her reaction in August! :) ... 
As an added bonus... at last night's HQH Meeting the quilts were displayed and voted on in numerous categories.  My quilt won 2nd Place! (now... now... there were only 2 in the "Vintage Category" ... :) ... but truly I felt very blessed to have the honor!  It was for my Grandmother! ... and my Sweet, Sweet Mom ... (I got such a Wonderful bag full of goodies and a RIBBON!) What an honor and so much fun! ... You can read more about the meeting on my sweet friend Denise's blog! We have amazing quilters in the area, as I walked around the room all I could say was WOW! (It was very intimidating to know that mine was hanging there with all of the other, more than amazing pieces of true art!) ... But, I was proud that I did it, I finished a project, and trust me, it was all done with love...
Thanks for allowing me to share these memories, stitched up in about 24x18 inches!  Actually... because of a card made by my 7 year old Mother (at the time) who will celebrate her 72nd birthday on August 29th this year!  Personally, I think that's kind of neat! (who knew that such a card would inspire me so) Can I just say I love a sweet story, and a quilt and a picture wrapped up full of them ...

Capturing Memories and Stopping Moments in Time,
Tina :)


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I'm going to edit my post and make sure folks know that you've chronicled the whole process on your blog, with pictures of the inside and the back, which I adored!!! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gift. Truly from the heart. blessings

    ReplyDelete

My photo
Huntsville, Alabama, United States